Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hello, Kitty!

Korea...sometimes I just want to slap my knee and laugh. Kids do the darndest things, but let me tell ya, Koreans have stolen the spotlight from any child with a speech impediment or knack for losing their clothes at a family reunion.

In Korea, trends are taken to the EXTREME. Yes, I capatilized extreme to make it more....EXTREME.

Take, for instance, the cult classic that is, Hello Kitty. That cat can do just about anything it seems, and it is almost impossible NOT to find her plastered onto day to day products. Chopsticks, tooth brushes, cell phones, toilet paper (yes, toilet paper, how intimate!), and seat covers are just a few random places I've seen her.

I'm not hating on Hello, Kitty...In fact, I think she's kinda cute. And that giant red bow in her hair? How very Marc Jacobs 2010 Spring Collection of her...

On Sunday, I dragged B to the notorious Hello Kitty Cafe. You wouldn't imagine how easy it was to find. Being tucked away on a side street in a busy side of town isn't a problem. The building is painted a bright, happy pink that could, I'm guessing, easily be spotted from space.

When I stepped inside, I felt I was walking into a girlier version of PeeWee's Playhouse. Everything was pink. Obviously.





Every chair was in the shape of Hello, Kitty. The doorways were in the shape of her head. Mini cakes mirrored her cheeky expression. We ordered coffees and wouldn't you know? That cat made an appearance in my latte foam.

SHE'S EVERYWHERE!



I couldn't even pee without being reminded of how cute she was. I was inspired to say things like "look at my bow" that I wasn't wearing, and "love day with Kitty friend". Her English is great!






The latte was surprisingly good. However, I was distracted by a tagged trash bin and had to get a picture of it. So I guess I enjoyed the place, but not more than a creative trash can. That sounds horribly rude...and that is all.



ps- i do NOT condone the message on this trash can

- C

No comments:

Post a Comment