Thursday, July 15, 2010

Crazy Contraptions That Will Be Missed

The Umbrella Slip: I will sincerely miss this contraption. I hate it when I have to lug my sopping wet umbrella into work, or a shop, or the subway. These gadgets can quickly and painlessly cover your umbrella with plastic, saving yourself from a slippery fall on the floor. No matter the size of your umbrella, this invention has you covered.



T-money: This is genius! Attach a small ring to your phone, key chain, or bag, and have access to all sorts of products without reaching for your wallet. Subway rides, taxis, vending machines, and convenient store stops...all take the t-money currency. It's a preloaded ring or card that is reusable and stylish. Unlike the metro cards back in Chicago, this puppy can be used for more than just the commute to work. I'll miss you, T-money....

vending machine that accepts T-Money

T-Money cell phone charm



Cell phone Coverage: Korea has got the cell phone business done right. There is a multidude of options, as far as the kind of cell phone you would like. They may have been late to get the iPhone, but really there isn't much of a need, with all the other smart phones made here. But my favorite part of having a cell phone is NOT paying a good portion of my paycheck for my service. I've never counted minutes or texts, because they are too cheap to worry about. 1 text message costs 1 penny. I hear thousands of American jaws hitting the floor. I don't even know what my plan covers, nor do I wish to find out. My bill is approximately $30 a month. The logic is, the more affordable cell phones are, the more the public will buy. My 1st graders have cell phones, so I'm guessing it's working.

my Korean cell phone


The Water Sound Button: I had seen these buttons around in the subway bathrooms, but was always too scared to push one. I didn't know what would happen and didn't want to make a fool out of myself. Finally, one day when I was alone in a bathroom, I pushed the button. It's located next to the toilet in the stall. Don't worry, I'm not writing this from a toilet seat. As soon as I pushed the button, the sound of a toilet flushing rang out of the box. I won't go into detail about what it's for, but I hope you get the idea! The courtesy flush, without wasting water. Gross, but a crazy Korean invention none the less...

the water sound button


When I first started seeing these baby slings, I was reminded of those little backpack animals. Unzip the Giraffe and stuff it with your pencils and snacks...ect. I think baby slings are somewhat dangerous and I still can't manage to understand why strapping a baby, legs-split, to your back, serves a purpose. These are really popular in Korea. Wonder if this will catch on in the States...

for the mom on the go?

This next contraption isn't really new to me, but I just get a kick out their location and step-by-step instructions. These gas masks are situated in every subway station. Granted there are only 12, and there are usually dozens of people in one station at a time, it defintiely give you the feeling of "hey, we care about you"...or at least 12 of you. In the case of chemical warfare, just grab a mask and get to steppin'!

get em' while they're hot/available

In times of chemical bombing, remember to read the directions thuroughly!

don't forget to breathe?


-C

No comments:

Post a Comment