Saturday, July 31, 2010

"When are you coming home?"

Friday was my last day teaching at school and well, I wasn't exactly looking forward to it.Now, I am NOT a kid person. They've always got an even number of fingers up their noses and despite not having eaten a pb&j in the past week or so, there will always be jam in the crevices of their tiny hands. Gross.

Despite public belief, I was once a child myself. I know, it's true. Strange how I identify more with an abnormally tall 5th grader than I do with most of the adults I've met in my lifetime. You really want to marry that drummer in your favorite boy band? Yeah, me too. Sister read your diary? Let me help you with some key hiding spots. A boy pushed you on the playground? KNOCK HIM OUT! Joking.



It was hard to say goodbye to some students and thankfully, I was able to keep it together for the most part. Some students gave me cards and small gifts. My favorites were a kitty hologram passport holder from Susan, and giant drop rhinestone earrings from Grace (she picked them out herself).



I had prepared this sappy end of the year "go after your dreams" speech, but never quite got around to it. All of the students were asking questions about what I was going to do next. Sara, a 5th grader who I'm incredibly attached to asked "When are you coming home?". I corrected her and said "when are you GOING home". She put her head down on her desk and didn't look at me for the rest of class. Then I got it. When am I coming home...back to Korea. There go my heart strings.

Another student who doesn't attend our school anymore came in to say goodbye. I hadn't seen her for a month, but she remembered when I was leaving. She just walked up to me, lip a tremble, and waited for me to hug her.

WHY do they have to do that? It's not a good look for me.

I was incredibly moved by the little things they said and just how sincere they were. My little buddy, Robin, promised to email me every week to make sure the American's were being friendly to me.



Teaching has been fulfilling in every sense. There are teachers from my past that I guaruntee have shaped me into the person I am. I hope, or maybe I'm just wishing, that I did that for a student or two. I think a lot of Korean teachers are ass-holes. Flat out. Telling students they're the dumbest in the class and shouldn't be smiling for the rest of the year?? That's a quote, by the way. I spent most of my classtime boosting their confidence and explaining to them that despite what their parents have told them, there are more career choices than doctor, lawyer, or CEO.

I had award shows in my classes and honored them for being their cooky, zany selves. I hope they stay that way.


-C

No comments:

Post a Comment