Thursday, July 15, 2010

Englishee?

Despite how learner friendly the Korean language is, I have failed at falling back into my studious ways of my college years. I know the basics, which will get me where I need to go, but speaking in 2 word phrases just makes me feel like a caveman. For example, "straight, thank you" or "rice, one". Me hungry, make sandwich! I hope this habit doesn't follow me back to the States.

No matter the language, I usually only remember the words I will never need to use in a public setting. I know how to say pigeon, gambling, and pervert in Korean. But I'm not sure I'll ever have a run in with a perverted, gambling pigeon.

I know how to say cat, heart, and house slippers in Spanish. And really, I hope I never wake up to a cat heart in my house slippers.

In German, the words that come to my mind first are butt-head, sweet, and rye bread. Do you see my problem???

Perhaps I should invest in Rosetta Stone, or I could continue to grunt one syllable words at my taxi drivers.

Grunting it is.

-C

2 comments:

  1. can you read pretty well in korean? or write?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can read and write a little...korea is just really english friendly. most people speak some of it, and menus and signs are often in english as well. so...yeah, i haven't been a good student.

    ReplyDelete